Hey everyone, it’s me again, Bethany, welcome to our recipe site. Today, I will show you a way to make a distinctive dish, ropa vieja (cuban style stewed shredded beef). It is one of my favorites. This time, I will make it a bit unique. This will be really delicious.
Ropa Vieja (Cuban Style Stewed Shredded Beef) is one of the most popular of recent trending meals in the world. It’s easy, it is quick, it tastes yummy. It is enjoyed by millions every day. Ropa Vieja (Cuban Style Stewed Shredded Beef) is something that I’ve loved my whole life. They are fine and they look wonderful.
A Filling Beef Meal Ropa Vieja is a main course of shredded and braised beef with plenty of healthy, tasty vegetables, like onions, peppers and olives. The key to a successful Ropa Vieja is flank steak. The reason: this type of meat is the perfect candidate for a low, slow cooking process; as the meat.
To get started with this recipe, we have to first prepare a few components. You can have ropa vieja (cuban style stewed shredded beef) using 25 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you can achieve it.
The ingredients needed to make Ropa Vieja (Cuban Style Stewed Shredded Beef):
- Get For efficiency, make sure to put the beef on the stove to boil before you start your knifework
- Get To boil the beef:
- Make ready 2.5-3 pound chuck roast cut into roughly 8 equal pieces (you can also use skirt or flank)
- Prepare 1/2 medium onion, cut in half
- Take 4 smashed garlic cloves
- Make ready 1 carrot, cut in thirds
- Get 1 celery stalk, cut in thirds
- Make ready 5 cups water, or enough to cover by about ½ an inch
- Get For the rest:
- Prepare 2 Tablespoons oil (olive or vegetable)
- Take half a medium onion, cut into ¼” strips vertically
- Take 1 red bell pepper, halved, cored, and cut into ¼” strips vertically
- Make ready 1/2 green bell pepper, cored and cut into ¼” strips vertically
- Prepare 4 cloves garlic, peeled and rough chopped
- Prepare 1/4 cup green pitted olives, cut into thirds or quarters
- Make ready 1 teaspoon cumin
- Take 1 teaspoon oregano
- Get 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Take 2 bay leaves
- Prepare 1 1/2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- Make ready 1 (15 oz.) (or so) canned tomatoes
- Get 2 cups boiling liquid
- Prepare 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Get 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Take 1/3 cup frozen peas (optional)
This version of ropa vieja is made with beef and accented with olives and capers. Cuban Ropa Vieja is tender beef that's slow cooked in a savory broth with wine, tomato sauce and Latin spices, then shredded to look My slow cooker Cuban ropa vieja captures all the deliciousness of this traditional dish, and makes it weeknight friendly! A hearty beef stew made Cuban-style with shredded flank steak, bell peppers, onions, and a flavorful tomato sauce. Ropa Vieja, Cuba's famously delicious shredded beef stew with peppers, tomatoes and olives, is a great recipe for the slow cooker!
Step by Step to make Ropa Vieja (Cuban Style Stewed Shredded Beef):
- Put the beef, the ½ onion, carrot, celery, and four garlic cloves in a 4 or 5 quart Dutch oven, pour in the water, cover the pot, and place over high heat, until the meat comes to a rolling boil (about 15 to 20 minutes). Then turn the heat down to medium, keeping the pot completely covered, and continue to boil the beef for another 40 to 50 minutes, or until the thickest part of the largest piece of beef is very easily pierced with a fork.
- While the beef is boiling, do all your knifework and set aside. When the beef is boiled, remove all the pieces from the liquid and cool for at least 20 minutes or while you prepare the base of the stew. Save 2 cups of the liquid in a mixing bowl or other container. You can discard the rest, or save it, like I do, to use as soup or sauce stock.
- In your Dutch oven, bring 2 Tablespoons oil up to slightly higher than medium heat and saute your onions, peppers, and garlic for 3 or 4 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and begin to wilt.
- Add in the cumin, oregano, black pepper, and bay leaves and stir to distribute evenly. Then add in tomato paste, canned tomatoes, boiling liquid, 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, and ½ teaspoon sugar, and stir to completely dissolve the tomato paste into the liquid. At this point, your beef should be ready to shred. Remember the turn the heat off while you shred. :)
- Loosely shred all the beef (it doesn’t have to be a fine shred, unless you insist on it that way, but it is a little more work. Besides, the simmering will continue to separate the meat fibers a little more.) and put into pot with the stewing liquid. Turn the heat up to medium high and stir to incorporate thoroughly.
- With the pot covered, bring the Ropa Vieja up to a rolling boil for about 2 minutes (should take 7 to 8 minutes), uncover, stir a couple of times, turn the heat down to medium and simmer, fully covered, for another 15 minutes, stirring a couple of times halfway.
- Remove the lid and simmer the ropa vieja for another 10 to 12 minutes, stirring a couple of times halfway through to ensure everything is evenly cooked. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Remove from heat and let cool for at least 15 minutes (this will give the flavors time to set and the sauce time to thicken). If you’re adding frozen peas, right after you cut the heat is when you would fold them in. Adding them in at the end helps them retain their texture and color better.
- Buen provecho! :)
I've lived way too long hearing about, being tempted by, but not cooking Cuba's national dish, ropa vieja: shredded beef stew. A national Cuban recipe, "Ropa Vieja" is tender beef that is slowly braised with spices then finished in a seasoned tomato sauce. I have never been to Cuba, but we have visited many places in Florida that serve authentic Cuban food and this is about as close to authentic "Cuban Ropa Vieja" as I can. Ropa vieja is a Cuban beef stew dish that, literally translated, means "old clothes" because of its shredded appearance. This beef stew is hearty enough to eat on its own but also goes well over rice dishes and soaked up with crusty bread.
So that’s going to wrap it up for this exceptional food ropa vieja (cuban style stewed shredded beef) recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I’m sure you can make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food in home recipes coming up. Remember to save this page on your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends. Thank you for reading, I hope this site becomes “the place to be” when it comes to ropa vieja (cuban style stewed shredded beef) cooking. Go on get cooking!